The 36-hour Basic Mediation Training emphasizes skill building and practice. Lecture, large group discussion, small group work, personal reflection, and role-playing are all utilized in order to maximize the learning potential for all participants. Some of the skills and topics covered are:
- Creating and managing a supportive and trusting atmosphere
- Handling strong emotions effectively
- Encouraging parties to see problems from others’ point of view
- Listening without judgement for both facts and feelings
- Using open ended questions and reframing effectively
- Keeping discussion focused on the relevant issues
- Finding common ground
- Encouraging creative problem solving
- Framing clear, balanced, forward looking agreements
The Basic Mediation Training is the foundational piece for all mediators as well as providing tools for carrying forward creative problem solving.
please let us know if you are interested in becoming a mediator and would like to know about our upcoming trainings.